Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) is committed to reducing its environmental impact and upholding social responsibility across its offices, business units and facilities locations. Our vision is to become one of the most respected and admired companies in our area of business.
We believe that environmental and social compliance is the responsibility of both management and employees and should be critical to the manner we conduct our business. The Company will monitor and drive compliance efforts through awareness, self-assessments, audits and taking corrective actions as needed.
Our environmental and social sustainability commitments include the following:
- Comply with applicable national and international environmental and social management regulations as relates to environmental sustainability, labour and working conditions as well as Community, health safety and security;
- Reduce fossil-fuel use, water consumption and waste generation;
- Create technically credible and positive environmental, social and economic benefits for the communities where we do business;
- Develop a program to raise employee awareness of environmental issues and promote responsible behavior, thereby helping employees to positively impact the environment in their work lives;
- Incorporate sustainable design into new projects, as well as during operations and maintenance of our assets to improve our overall efficiency and environmental performance;
- Incorporate environmental and social sustainabilily principles as an integral part of our procurement process and ensure contractors and suppliers also comply;
- Track, measure and decrease our overall resource use in line with global best practices;
- Continuously engage relevant stakeholders in areas where we do business
Management will be responsible for providing leadership in the implementation of this policy and maintain a work environment that values and ensures these practices and principles are seen as a responsibility of all employees and relevant stakeholders.